Bill Burns, MD
Credentials: Assistant Professor (CHS), Emergency Medicine & Palliative Care
Phone: (608) 265-4059
Administrative Support: Brooke Blalock
LEADERSHIP POSITIONS HELD
Assistant Residency Program Director
Undergraduate: Marquette University
Medical School: Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine
Residency: Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine – Chief Resident
Fellowship: Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine – Hospice & Palliative Medicine
Dr. William (Bill) Burns completed residency training in Chicago at the Northwestern University Emergency Medicine program. After serving as Chief Resident during his fourth year, he completed a fellowship in Hospice & Palliative Medicine at Northwestern. Upon completion of the fellowship, Dr. Burns joined the faculty of the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health. He primarily works clinically in the emergency department but is active on the palliative care inpatient and consult services. Within the UW Department of Emergency Medicine residency leadership team, Dr. Burns coordinates the resident block and clinical schedules.
His professional interests include resident education, EKG interpretation, interpersonal communication, symptom management, and the intersection of emergency and palliative medicine. Along with a team of dedicated EM educators, Dr. Burns created the Foundations ECG curriculum, which is a component of Foundations of Emergency Medicine (FoEM) and is a free, open-access curriculum. The ECG courses have been implemented widely across the U.S. and are beginning to expand globally.
Away from work, Dr. Burns enjoys spending time with his wife and two daughters, as well as bicycling, listening to audiobooks, working on home improvement projects, and bottle aging cocktails.
• UWEMRP Education Research Group
• Emergency Medicine Education Research Alliance
• Foundations of Emergency Medicine
• Faculty Award for Excellence in Clinical Care, BerbeeWalsh Department of Emergency Medicine (2020)
• Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching, BerbeeWalsh Department of Emergency Medicine (2019)
• Foundations of Emergency Medicine Impact Award (2019)
• Fellow Teaching Award, Northwestern Department of Internal Medicine
• Best Resident Procedure Teacher, Northwestern Department of Emergency Medicine (2017)
• Best Resident Teacher, Northwestern Department of Emergency Medicine (2016)