Visiting Student Rotation
Summer/Fall 2023 Rotation Dates:
- Jul. 10–Aug. 4, 2023
- Aug. 7–Sept. 1, 2023
- Sept. 5–29, 2023
For details on the process, please see the Visiting Medical Student website of the School of Medicine and Public Health. We will begin accepting applications for the upcoming academic year on the last Friday of April and begin processing visiting student applications in mid-May.
- U.S. citizen, Canadian citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- Currently enrolled in an LCME or AOA accredited medical school
- In their final year of training at the time they will be rotating in the School of Medicine and Public Health
- Passing score on USMLE Step 1 or COMLEX
There are no exceptions to these criteria. Learn more.
Visiting Student URiM Scholarship
The UW School of Medicine and Public Health has a long-standing history of promoting and supporting diversity in its training of the next generation of physicians. In the BerbeeWalsh Department of Emergency Medicine, we believe that this commitment to diversity both strengthens our community and ensures the delivery of the highest quality patient care.
The Department of Emergency Medicine warmly welcomes fourth-year medical students from all across the nation; our excellent faculty are dedicated to sharing their knowledge and enthusiasm for our specialty. The Department encourages qualified underrepresented medical students (URiM) seeking external emergency medicine rotations to apply for our diversity scholarship for visiting students.
The mission of the scholarship is to expose medical students from underrepresented backgrounds to the training program in the Department of Emergency Medicine. The award aims to increase the number of URiM trainees in the emergency medicine residency program at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health and in the specialty of emergency medicine in general.
About the Scholarship:
- $2000 stipend to be used toward travel, housing, and/or application and elective fees
- Mentorship and networking: scholars are assigned faculty and senior resident mentors
- Departmental standardized letter of evaluation (SLOE)
- Guaranteed consideration for an interview with the UW Hospitals and Clinics emergency medicine residency program
Our innovative 4-week Advanced Elective rotation is a sub-intern-level experience for students applying to an emergency medicine residency. The rotation allows students to independently manage acutely ill patients with a broad range of presenting problems. We also provide advanced simulation experiences that help students develop real-time teamwork and decision-making skills under pressure. This elective is consistently rated one of the best advanced elective experiences in the medical school.
This competitive scholarship is open to underrepresented fourth-year medical students who have expressed interest in applying to the University of Wisconsin Emergency Medicine Residency Program. To apply, please submit the following items to Niki Hagen, Clerkship Manager, at email@example.com.
- Completed URiM Visiting Student Scholarship Application
- Curriculum vitae
- Medical school transcript
- Step 1 score or COMLEX report
- Letter of intent
- Letter of support from core Clerkship Director (500 words)
Deadline: Priority deadline for the July 2023 rotation is June 1, 2023, but applications for all rotations are accepted on a rolling basis.
Diversity at UW SMPH
Diversity is central to the mission of the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health in meeting the health needs of the people of Wisconsin and beyond through excellence in education, research, patient care, and service.